Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Shopping Our Stash #64

Hello dear friends!  I have some really exciting news today!  (well, exciting for me anyway!)  I have been asked to be on the Design Team over at Shopping Our Stash.  I was and still am so excited that I was asked to join this great challenge blog!!  I have been following these fun ladies for a while now and am looking forward to working with them!

This is my first challenge on their team and it's a fun one.  This time we need to "Try Something New".  I was a little stumped at first because I love to try new things (that's how I got hooked on card making....me, the stitcher, sewer, quilter, knitter, crocheter....see?) and there's so much I have tried nothing popped into my head right away.  I had a gift to make my young cousin that was visiting for our family reunion from California.  She works in a zoo and LOVES animals.  While I was walking around the back-to-school section I found these adorable mini composition books for $.88 (I'll be going back for more!).  What a bargain!  Then at Michael's I found leopard (or cheetah or something) glitter paper that I knew would be perfect.  So here's what I came up with:
 Isn't this great??  (What kind of animal print is that anyway??)  Can you see the glitter on the animal print?  I tore my paper which I love to do and sewed the edges very, very crooked.  The new thing for me was stitching by hand on my paper.  I drew out a letter "M" on scrap paper.  I positioned it on my background and punched holes with a pin, in even intervals, the whole way around.  I used a yarn that has been in my stash for more than a few years.  I chose yarn because I wanted to to really stand out and I loved the texture.  Also, as I looked at this paper I remembered this yarn and knew the color would be a perfect match.  And I was right!!  I added a brad to each corner, 3 are a metallic bronze sort of color, the other one is black since its on the DP.
 The back isn't embellished but looks the same, just ripped in the opposite direction.
Here you can see it's a composition book by the depth of it.  I covered the spine with a thin strip of my black card stock almost like the big black and white composition books are.

Please be sure to stop by all the ladies' blogs to see what great projects every one has for you.  There are now 11 of us now so you will have lots of eye candy!!

I think that's about it.  Thanks for taking a peek!

Blessings & Hugs

Michelle

5 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous! I love the texture and dimension you created! I can't stitch to save my life- but sure wish I could! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of your sewing, both hand and machine, on this awesome project! Your cousin will love this personalized beauty! So happy to have you on our team at SOS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooooooooooh! ♥♥♥! now THAT is gorgeous, dramatic and bold, but still totally FUN! i love that you did the stitching in YARN, it really does give it an amazing amount of texture! loooooooooooooove that paper, too, for the record i'd say that is... ummmmm... leopard or cheetah or something, lol!!! (the very rare glitter leopards who now breed only near las vegas, perhaps??!?!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cool! My oldest says it's giraffe, and the youngest says leopard. I just love it :) Your cousin will too - personalized gifts are always a huge hit, and this one is well, just so cool!
    I couldn't for the life of me think of a technique - I'm like you crafty-wise, tried LOTS - and if I own the stuff, I've done it. I cannot wait to join in next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SENSATIONAL!!!! What a perfect gift for your cousin! The stitching is awesome with a capital A!!!! So wonderful.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete